Recently I’ve been working on some updates for one of the new levels from the project «A Dream In The Fall». What happened? Well, I Just made basic geometry smoother and the whole level changed beyond recognition. Not much progress though — the sand still looks crappy and the lighting is out of order at all. But I’m on my way to fix it!
Actually it’s not true, because I seem to be one of that dudes, who do things and only then think (best case scenario), so everything resulted in a complete rework of everything from scratch including element locations, paths, triggers and other important stuff. And yes, I’m still not satisfied with the result! Well, I’m doing such updates with almost every asset, and this iterative refienment proceess seems to stop at never. What is the problem here? Just only total time spent? Well, while I’ve been working in this industry, I’ve seen some dudes being planning, projecting, constructing in the paper each damn level before making it in the editor. It took hours, days, months and the result was still a piece of guano (wild animals’ shit). Also there are some examples from big guys in modern industry making #blocktober flashmob, demonstraiting their pedantic approach to level design. Oh, come on, that just thier work for bread ‘n’ butter. What I do — is a total random-driven process! Once I’ve worked with random level generators, you know what — I’m one of them random generators.
To this one
Just made several assets (stone slabs or whatever), took them each in the hand and started dropping them in this hot low-polygonal sand. And, of course, the most important hemorrhoids here is collision models on these meshes. Well, I’ve managed to solve it — just puth everything in blocking volumes, lol. Well, that’s all about this short story of making shit even shittier, but removing some shit from this shit on each iteration.
The second part of the recently developed level for the project «A Dream In The Fall». This part of the level consists of platforms and tracks too, however there are not that many indoor parts. Just quite a linear path, surrounded by areas of quicksand.
This area of the level is designed as a final part — the player is able to find here another character — the head, which is stuck in the sand. Possible ways of interaction with this character depend on how many golems the player has activated.
The graphic components hasn’t been improved since the last update, however the setting and the atmosphere is quite satisfactory. There will be some improvements with new, detailed meshes and better textures (the sand really looks like plasticine), but later.
One of the first levels for the project «A Dream In The Fall». The idea is to find and capture all golems to be able to shove a stuck head. The level mostly consists of platforms and tracks, that connect the platforms. Any other area in the level is a quicksand, which pulls the player down.
The playable character for this level is a walking character (xw_char), which is capable of fast movement and overcoming most of the obstacles. It is also capable of interacting with some interactable objects, placed all over the level, which are used to capture golems.
All golems are initally deactivated, so any golem, except the first, is ought to be interacted in a certain way (well, I think it should be just a touch interaction) to become active.
The graphic component still needs serious improvements: the detail level of world geometry is very poor, especially – the textures, also the sand looks like an old heavily urinated carpet.
Finally it’s time to make the other part – the shore. Sea cliffs and sandy shores is quite a good setting for the adventure level. So, some cliffs were made of stonde and mud:
This cliffs still need a better detail, especially – good texturing. But well, from distance they look quite nice. Considering that the main action takes place in the water, we won’t always see them close. This is how it looks all together.
The second step of designing the level. At first, some smaller rocks were added. They don’t look nice in themselves:
But a propper texture, a nice illumination and a suitable environment made them look pretty good, at least for now. Then, some foliage was added to the level. They are some ivy branches, which I’ve made recently:
This foliage doesn’t look good too, especially the leaves, but I think it’s okay for now. Finally, these simple things made the level look live. But water is still no good – I think I’ll just use one of my old shaders to keep the haemorhoid away. On the next step, gameplay elements are going to be added.